Choosing a builder can be a stressful experience. During large projects, such as extensions, you might end up seeing your builder as often or even more often than your own partner, significant other or children.
That means when it comes to crunch time and you have to decide, you need to get it right.
Here’s our top 7 tips for choosing a builder for your next project.
1. Meet with a few builders and arrange for them all to supply you with a quote.
2. Are they listening to your needs? It’s no good having a builder who just does the standard, or does their own thing.
3. Do they know what they are talking about? Does the person you are meeting with inspire you with confidence?
4. Are they busy? If you want to commission a good builder, expect to have to wait. Good builders are in demand, bad ones aren’t.
5. Can you go and see other examples of their work? Don’t just believe what you see in adverts and social media, it’s always wise to go and look at workmanship in person and talk to people who have had work completed by the builder.
6. Do they want a lot of the money upfront? This is a massive warning sign, if a builder wants half the money or more upfront, alarm bells should be ringing.
7. Trust your instincts. Too many times we go to fix other builder’s jobs where we hear a customer say ‘I knew I should have listened to myself when I thought something was off.’
And that’s it. Our top 7 pieces of advice for finding yourself a good builder. If you follow these points, you should end up with a good builder who does a fantastic job for you.
It goes without saying that here at PJB Project Builders, we tick all of the boxes above.